Saturday, June 13, 2009

Clean it up Chief


It's a month into the season and we stand with a record of 13-14. If the offense is doing well, the pitching is not. If the pitching is doing well, the defense is struggling. There are new faces being seen in the locker room everyday as transactions have become very frequent as of late. Whether its team chemistry of just plain bad luck, it's the tale of a team struggling to click on all cylinders. This is a story seen very often and when (yes, when) things begin to click on all cylinders, it is teams like these that are often the most dangerous.

For the second consecutive weekend, we are in Ft. Worth to play the Cats. We dropped the first game of the three-game series to the division leaders last night. The loss was the second consecutive and the third in the past four games for us.

My last start was the second game of our last home series against the Grand Prarie Airhogs. I escaped any damage in the first but was touched up for five runs in the second inning. It was the most runs I have given up in a single inning in my professional career. The inability to make adjustments and leaving balls up in the zone played a pivital role in the doomed inning. The fire and anger within me after the inning carried over for me nicely over the next five innings as I would allow just two hits and one run the rest of the way. I left in the seventh inning with the score being 6-4 but a late inning rally let me off the hook from taking the loss. Thankfully, my next start is against these guys so I have extra motivation to put these guys away on Monday.

The past couple of days I have been working really hard on getting extension on my sinker. It is such a feel pitch and can be your best friend when you stay on top of the ball but also your worse enemy when you aren't getting out in front of it. The luxury of sinker is that it can be thrown in all counts and down the middle of the plate without much problem. My feel for my sinker has improved as I have moved my hand down on the ball and my index and middle finger off center from the laces. I am very confident in my repertoire now.

Today, I bought "Swimming to Antartica", which is a book written by long-distance swimmer, Lynne Cox. This is the woman that had the courage and determination to swim across the English Channel, Cape of Good Hope, and around Antarctica. I've already started reading it and am thoroughly inspired at how one can believe in themselves so much that they could actually swim in the freezing waters of Antarctica.

Today's temperature is 93 degrees with almost 100% humidity. An easy 1/2 mile walk to the outlets down the street brought about quite a soaked T-shirt. The humidity feels much like the East Coast in mid-August. For tonight, my roomate this roadtrip, De La Rosa has the ball. I have a bullpen scheduled in which I will work on throwing predominantly all strikes with my sinker and back door sliders.

There is a time to let things happen, and a time to make things happen.

This is the time to make it happen.