Monday, May 11, 2009

1400 miles from Mom


Well its Mother's Day and I made sure to give a call to my mother today to let her know how much she means to me. It's tough being 1400 miles away from her but as they often say, absence makes the heart grow fonder.

It is nine days into spring training and I still have yet to see a drop of rain here. The weather is almost the exact same everyday with mid-90 temperatures, low humidity, and sunny skies. This was kind of the same way it was last May but I think I jinxed that last year because we had a slew of rain come down last June. Let's hope it doesnt happen like that this time!

The team is shaping out pretty well. The starting pitchers have all been extended so far with pitch counts being held somewhere around 75-80 pitches. The majority of the new guys had a chance to get an appearance in our lone scrimmage against EPCC with a few really throwing well. It looks like I am going to be taking an extended live BP outing against the hitters on Wednesday to gear up for my Sunday night start against Sioux City.

The community appearances have been very exciting so far. The other night the team had an appearance at The Ultimate Pizza Factory (much like a Chuckie Cheese). It was a fun night and we had a chance to be around many of the kids that will be out watching us this summer.

My roomate and I had also had an appearance the other day at Ft. Bliss to talk and play with a bunch of kids whos fathers had just been deployed to Iraq and Afghanistan. We played baseball with them and signed autograph after autograph. The kids could not have been more appreciative and it is times like these that let me realize how lucky I am to be playing ball and holding a positive influence in the lives of others.

Opening night is just three days away. The town is gearing up for another exciting season of Diablos baseball. Baseball fever is in the air!