Saturday, May 1, 2010

Anticipation, Appreciation, and Remembrance


As I write today, I find myself on board the long-awaited flight to El Paso. It’s about halfway into the flight and I’m guessing that we are somewhere just before East Texas. This flight, unlike any of the six I’ve had in the past eight months, seems and feels a little different.

It really brings me back to a moment that I had months ago. I’ll never forget that day for as long as I live.

On that late August day, I remember looking out the window of the airplane just after takeoff and being so thrilled that I was finally going home again. When I sat in that ICU bed, I never really knew when I was ever going to be back home. I've got a new sense for that "home" feeling as I never truly knew how important being home is until it was threatened. It is often quoted, "Home is where the heart is"

The feeling that was inside of me, as I peered down the mountaintops on my connector flight to Denver, was very ecstatic. I felt the comfort and warmth of a greater being as I was not in this battle alone. I've been safe hands the entire time.

It’s been nine months and with each passing day, I find myself feeling more gracious and thankful for coming out okay.

I tallied just about 70 innings altogether in Australia and feel more than ready to start this new season. I learned many things in both life and on the mound with Essendon and I'm sure that it will be fun to incorporate them into my world in El Paso. I’m excited about the opportunity that lies ahead and for people to bear witness to this miracle.

The Diablos are calling for a team meeting tomorrow to go over some minor business before camp opens on Saturday morning. I’ve got a pretty packed schedule with community events over the next couple weeks as I’m planning on heading to Ft. Bliss, Thomason Hospital, a few local schools, and maybe a little league or two.

Another chapter in my life looms ahead. Let’s see if we can’t make this one the best one yet.

God Bless