Monday, May 31, 2010

Cloudy May Experiences



The 2010 season has not started off with fireworks as I had originally envisioned but everything is okay and I'm continuing to work hard. This young season has proven to be extremely frustrating for not just myself but for the team as well. We are on quite a skid right now and are hoping that a return home will turn around the direction of this team.

At the present, I find myself in the terminal of the Kansas City International Airport after two weeks on road in Louisiana, South Dakota, and Nebraska. Its 5:45 am local time and the plane does not leave for another couple hours.

I would like to update you on my personal endeavors over the past few weeks.

My first start was just over two weeks ago against Sioux City at home. I cannot remember ever having a start where I was so nervous, which proved to be detrimental to my overall results. The end result of the game was the largest number of runs I had given up in my professional career and the shortest outing (I believe) in my three years with El Paso. As you may believe, it was quite a let down and I found myself reeling after the game. Rest assured, I bounced back.

The fifth starter was skipped to begin the first stretch of games so my position as the third starter landed me a start right on schedule. For those of you who may not know what this means, a normal pitching rotation features starters to throw every fifth day. I came into my second outing determined to prove that I was still the starter that was a 2009 All-Star. The nerves were much less and I felt much more comfortable. I went into the seventh inning and allowed only two runs to come across before I was taken out with a 5-2 lead. We ended up dropping the contest but it was a great introduction back to success.

After a series in Shreveport, La., we headed north to Sioux Falls, S.D., for a three-game series against the league leaders. I was slated to throw the second game of the series against the Pheasants and came out of the gates strong. A quick 1-2-3 inning was exactly what I wanted to start off the game. A two-run homerun in the second and a few runs in the fifth and sixth would chase me after six innings of work. I buried my head into my locker that night wondering what in the world happened to me. I sat around long after the game trying to figure out what I was doing wrong.

The answer was simple.

Man up. What happened happened and there is nothing that can change that.

I went back to look at the chart the next day and there lay in front of my eyes my biggest problem. Out of the 29 batters I faced that night, I threw 26 of those batters first pitch strikes. Of the 26 first pitch strikes that I threw, 19 of those were swung at by the opposition. I was pitching to a trend and that is a problem. Hitters knew I was flooding the zone early and capitalized on this tell. I'm understanding this game of baseball better each day and I'm learning more as I play.

Throughout my entire experience, I've learned that the past never needs to be forgotten as it can be a tool of great drive. Let's take that drive and use it to attain the results that I've worked so hard to achieve.

My next start is in two days (June 1st) against Shreveport at 7:05 pm at Cohen Stadium. If you want, you can listen live at www.diablos.com.

God Bless.