Sunday, March 14, 2010

Let the good times roll


By the time its said and done, my trip to Australia will have lasted just over 15 weeks. Although the past 12 weeks have been quite an amazing experience, the next two weeks represent one of the pivital reasons why I've traveled across the world.

It's Grand Final time.

In American terms, its championship time. Essendon is going to the "ship".

In the ones, we claimed the minor premeirship this weekend with a win and Waverley loss. The result was a top seed in the playoffs, a meeting with Geelong, and another showdown at Altona this Wednesday night. This will mark the fifth consecutive start - and week - that I've started a game at Altona. Each start has been against a different opponent with each start having better results.

I've had some inquiries recently about how much I've grown as a pitcher in my time out here. My velocity is definately on the rise and I feel like I'm throwing harder now than I have in my entire life. I cant seem to put a single head on the nail in regards to this but my guess has been my bullpen routines, long toss, and increased stretching time. There is no doubt that my muscles tightened up significantly in the initial wake of this injury but with more stretching, I feel much looser and fluent. I'm throwing five pitches now and I have confidence in each.

Essendon' seconds are moving their way to the GF after holding off Geelong today, 8-7. There is one thing I would like to comment on in reference to my experience with the first and seconds.

This team represents quite a melting pot of age, experience, and talent but I've got to tell you...this is one of the most enjoyable teams I've ever had the chance to play with. These guys are quite the characters but know how to get the job done on the field. I've been playing this game for awhile and I've learned such a combination speaks dividends to championship teams.

For those of you who have followed me since my Little League days, this tight-knit group and degree of comraderie stands alongside a pair of outstanding teams that I had the luxury of playing with. I can remember those times in the summer of '04 with Post 64 Legion and in the summer of '06 with the Monroe Channelcats. Two great teams that I will never forget. These teams were probably the most successful teams I have ever played for. There is one glaring similarity between these two teams and I'm hoping the third time through may have a different result at the end of the year. We never won a premiership.

Its time to bring that premiership back to Essendon.

God Bless.