Monday, March 1, 2010

March 1st: Baseball is surely in the air


Its now March 1st...which is an important day in regards to a number of things. For starters, today represents the first day of training and tryouts in the US when I was growing up. It's kind of crazy that I've wound up on the other side of the world from the place where I spent so much time on the diamond as a kid. It's kind of amazing when I think of being here, in Australia, when just years ago I never had any inclination of playing baseball outside of the US. My decision was definately for the better as I've made friends that will last a lifetime and been introduced to a culture that has made its mark forever in my heart.

Today also represents the first day of the final month of my three month vacation in Oz. As I reflect upon my first few days here in Australia, I can only think about how uncertain I was with just about everything. There were so many things that went through my mind in those initial days and I'd like to share with you a couple of those items.

I never knew how I was going to react on the mound again actually. After plenty of bullpen sessions, I figured I'd be ready to go again but facing live hitters again I knew was going to be a challenge. Traveling to a foreign country all by myself and not knowing hardly anyone, living with complete strangers (who've turned out to be friends that will last a lifetime), and having to navigate around by myself were all items thrown at me from the beginning. The toughest of all was rather the last: having to live up to the expectations of a club that is thirsty for a premiership victory. The process of bringing over an American is no easy or cheap task. It involves much hardwork, diligence, and patience.

I feel very fortunate to have landed on this Essendon squad as I am truly having the time of my life out here. The players on the team, coaches, and supporters of the club have all been great. Everytime I walk around the Bombers' facility, there is always a sense of warmth and an overwhelming feeling of being welcome. Although I'm an American, it means close to nothing as I am now "one of the boys". I spoke before of how excited I was to be able to experience that "I'm back feeling again" but I don't really know that feeling really could have ever come back if not for the support of the Bomber faithful.

SInce my last post, I've thrown 10 innings. These innings were spread out over two starts with six innings of those being thrown at Melbourne Ball Park against Waverely where I fanned seven and held the Wildcats to just two hits over six innings. Ross Hipke closed out the game in the seventh as the game was called shortly after. The following Thursday, I squared off in the late game against Malvern and went four innings while giving up one run and fanning three. Both of my starts helped propel the team to victories as we have not lost a game since our first game of the new year.

So far in the firsts this year, I have thrown just about 20 innings while striking out 29 and giving up just 10 hits. My ERA stands at 1.85. My outings are getting better each time and I feel more dialed in with every passing appearance. The team is playing well in all facets of the game and we've picked up some great wins as of late. I'm scheduled to throw in the teams next game this Wednesday (vs. Blackburn @ Melbourne Ball Park, 6:30 pm) and hope that the string of good outings continue to come my way.

I'm looking forward to sharing my beers of choice (Boags Draught and VB) with some teammates following a win this Wednesday. I plan on bringing a few of these back to the US in just a couple of weeks. We'll tip a couple back to not only celebrate a victory of my time in Australia but for the exciting opportunities I have in the future to come.

Also,
-You can click here for the Baseball Victoria website or you can try this one for the Essendon Bomber page.
-My statistics can be retrieved from this location.

God Bless.