Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Free Falling in West Texas


We've been going through a pretty rough stretch out here in El Paso lately. The recent losses cannot be attributed to one particular aspect of the team but rather, the entire team itself. I noted in an earlier post that we were losing games because we couldn't put everything together when it mattered the most.

Well, now, we can't seem to put anything together.

The team is out of playoff contention but we still have things to play for. We are now playing for the love of the game. Regardless of the circumstance, I have never laid down to my competition. I've never given up in any aspect of the game and even though we are double-digit games back with less than three weeks left, there is still something to play for.

Pride.

Pride for yourself, your team, your city, your baseball career, your fans, etc.

If you look at the box score from last night's game against Grand Prairie, you would assume the El Paso Diablos have given up on the 2010 summer. It was one of the roughest games I have ever been apart of as a player or a fan. The drubbing was harsh to say the least.

This particular loss brings me back to a memory I have of the 2008 season. In my first game with El Paso, we took one off the chin in the season opener. The margin of victory of our opposition was much more and the crowd gave it to us a little worse than what was heard last night. There is some irony to this beat down as the following night we responded with a punch of our own...in the form of an 11 run victory over Shreveport.

I'm sensing a big game tonight for El Paso. To be honest, maybe a brutal loss like that was just what we needed for us to open up our eyes and our hearts.

God Bless.