Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Superstitions in Baseball


As much as I don't like to admit it, I fall under the category of being a "superstitious" player. Baseball is a game of skill and chance but I don't think extraneous measures always need to be performed to change your luck. That being said, I'm a firm believer that some people are destined for different kinds of success and that one can create their own luck.

Here is a small list of my superstitions with baseball.

1. I never spit during the National Anthem. In college, I had a coach preach respect during the national anthem and that was one of his pep peeves. If I'm chewing gum or eating sunflower seeds, I'll hold them until the Anthem is over.

2. I like to talk to my dad before starts. It's something I've always done and although its just a good luck conversation or "try this"..I've been successful talking with him pre-game. It's a little different out of the bullpen because I don't know which game I will throw in.

3. If our team is scoring runs and I'm in the dugout, I won't change where I am at until we get an out. Silly superstition of having to remain in the same spot but it is seen all across the board.

4. I used to walk a complete circle around the mound before I started an inning and would them look up to the sky and say a prayer. I don't really do this as much anymore because my prayers are on a much more private level these days.

5. Depending on how well I am pitching, I try and keep the same cleats. If I'm struggling, the first thing I'll change is my cleats. For example, after I struggled earlier this season...I exchanged my Mizuno low tops for a pair of Nike Clippers.